Skip to main content

September Newsletter

 Friends of Shalom,

Just like life has many phases, so does church planting. Recently I was reflecting on this for Shalom as I believe we are heading into a new phase. Here's where we've been and what's next.

  • Phase 1: Is anyone going to come? When we began at the end of October of 2023 this was the question we were asking. We wondered if this new church plant would even work. This was evident in the fact that we only reserved the church we were meeting in for 1-2 months. We started with Evening Prayer on Saturday night and began slowly seeing folks join with us and begin to explore Anglicanism and starting a new church in Kitsap. This phase lasted through the end of March.
  • Phase 2: What will happen when we actually start the church? As we began Sunday morning services this past Easter followed by my ordination to the priesthood, this was our next question. It was interesting to see how some folks dropped out once we began Sunday morning and others joined us. Overall beginning Sunday services created more consistent attendance and allowed us to see new visitors join in. This phase lasted through the summer to where we are today and it has been a really fun season of growth and momentum. Some highlights include seeing our first lay preacher begin serving Shalom through her gifts of preaching. Also, running two book groups through the summer for men and women enabled us to grow together in community. 
  • Phase 3: How will we continue to grow and lay the foundation for the future? As we head into the fall I'm so thankful that we have a solid core group of just over 30. We have a diversity of ages and life stages. We also have an infant, some adults, and potentially some children in the pipeline for baptism! Lots to be excited about! However, in our next phase we need to grow in two ways. First, we need to grow numerically. Will you pray that the Lord would double our numbers by the end of the year? Second, we also need to grow in depth. So, in a few weeks we'll begin our 12 week catechism class which you can learn more about here

Updates
  • We had our first all church potluck lunch followed by a work party to clean up the exterior of the school. One member of Shalom also came back the next week and power washed the steps. This was a simple way to serve and build community. 
  • We completed our second book study through Mere Christianity! 
  • I was able to take a Sunday off for a short vacation with all my kids, spouses, and granddaughter. It's truly a blessing to have folks willing to serve! 
  • I was able to have several pastoral meetings with folks around a whole variety of spiritual needs. I'm so grateful to be a pastor to the people of Shalom. 
  • One answer to last month's prayer request for administrative help - I was able to hire a part time book keeper to serve our church! This is a huge help to me. 
Prayer Requests
  • Please pray for the launch of our first catechism class at Shalom.
  • Please pray for the Lord to bring those he is drawing to be a part of our church.
For the Shalom of Kitsap,

Rob and Beth

Work party included removing a stump, weeding, painting our metal sign, mowing, and planting flowers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Go Time!

It’s Go Time!  This last weekend we celebrated Beth’s 46th birthday by spending a few days down in Oregon with all our kids. We had a great time catching up and enjoying two beautiful fall days together. On the way down my wife reminded me that her birthday was the sixth month anniversary of my cycling accident (I broke my L2 vertebrae back in April). It’s hard to believe that was six months ago! Six months ago, I was preparing to transition out of my last pastorate of 10 years and was also getting ready to begin some initial meetings for Shalom Anglican. Needless to say, my accident changed those plans. The thought crossed my mind, “God, are you trying to get my attention to keep me from planting this church?” But during my weeks of recovery it didn’t seem like the Lord was removing this calling; however, he was slowing me down! I shared with several friends that I wanted to embrace everything the Lord had for me in this time of rest and healing. My typical response would be to plow a

Why Anglican?

  It’s a fair question.   Why would a tattooed, flannel shirt wearing, Acts 29, non-denominational pastor want to wear a collar… a robe… and go “traditional” on us? I mean, isn’t that like going backwards? I thought we left all that stuff behind in the church growth movement of the 80’s that spawned the church planting movement of the late 90’s? What the heck are you doing Rob? Again, these are fair questions I can’t fully address this in one newsletter, but here’s a start. For me the journey begins with the leading of the Holy Spirit. In the fall of 2018 I started noticing that something was off in my soul. Around this time I was invited by Pat and Jenny Tracy to take advantage of a retreat cottage they had set up for pastors from Kitsap County. This began one of the greatest spiritual shifts of my life.   The practice of taking 3-5 days away to simply be with Jesus changed me. I began scheduling more retreats and over the years I dove deeper into the contemplative side of our faith.

New Monthly Update

 Friends of Shalom, Happy Easter to you all!  I'm currently writing to you from Salem, Or where Beth and I have been spending the week with our first grandchild! Laura Anne was born on Thursday March 28th to Miriam and Tucker! She's perfect and we're enjoying all the snuggles we can get as well as serving our daughter and son-in-law.  March was a busy month for us. Here are some updates and prayer needs. We've officially moved to Sunday morning! We celebrated our first Sunday on Easter and will continue to meet on Sunday mornings at 10am.  Our core team had their first gathering without me! I was preaching at Holy Trinity in Edmonds one weekend in March and our team led evening prayer, worship, and our community meal. This is a big deal for a new church!  We received a generous financial gift from City Chapel! City Chapel is one of our supporting churches in Bremerton. Pastor Peter Vorhees along with the whole staff there have been a huge support to me and Shalom since