Skip to main content

October Newsletter

 Friends of Shalom,

Through the years, I've had many friends who are teachers. And what they've all told me is that the first few years of teaching are the hardest part because you have to prepare ALL your lessons from scratch. Of course there's curriculum to pull from, but each lesson must be curated and put together. Once the new teacher has those lessons worked out and developed, the following years are much easier. 

In many ways, the early years of a church plant are like that. Like a new teacher, a church planter has to develop many "lessons." We have to work on websites, discipleship plans, policies, statements around key practices/beliefs of the church, etc. And that's the work I've been doing over the last month and it will likely continue for some time. Of course this work only makes sense if you have a "class" to teach. I'm so thankful that we have one! Over the last few months I have consistently heard from our folks how much they love our church and how much they're excited for the future!

Updates

  • I finished our app which you can find on all the platforms. Just look up "shalom anglican" and you'll find us. We are also podcasting all our Sermons, Weekly word, and Introduction to Anglicanism content on our app. You can also find us on apple podcast and spotify under "shalom anglican." 
  • I restarted the "weekly word" which is a five minute devotional I release each Wednesday. You can find it on our app, website, or podcast. 
  • We're heading into our fifth week of Catechism classes and they're going amazingly well. We have 18 adults and 2 youth participating and a few other drop ins as well. 
  • We have two musicians who have a growing vision and desire to pour into Shalom. 
  • This Sunday 10/20 is our first Baptism! We have one infant and 5 kids getting baptized! 
  • We've had the privilege of having an assisting priest for a few Sundays. Fr. James Swynford is an ordained ACNA priest who is living in the area while in between priestly callings. It's been a huge blessing to have him assist me in the service the last few weeks.
  • Beth and I attended our annual synod for the Cascadia Diocese. It was an encouraging time to reconnect with other priests, church planters, and to hear about what God is up to across Alaska, Washington, and Oregon. Thankfully it was held in Portland so we got to visit with our daughter Miriam and our granddaughter Laura as well as our son Sam who all live down in Oregon.
Prayer Requests
  • This last month I experienced quite a few moments of deep discouragement from the enemy. Please pray for protection. 
  • I'm starting to feel like I can't keep up with things. Pray that I can continue to give tasks and responsibilities away and continue to identify new leaders. 
  • I'm beginning a 9 month spiritual journey through the Ignatian exercises. I have a spiritual director guiding me through this. The exercises are a series of daily prayer times of connecting with Jesus through the scriptures. Please pray for the Lord to meet me afresh!
  • Continue to pray that our Lord will bring new folks to our church! 
Thanks so much for your friendship and prayers! 

For the Shalom of Kitsap,

Rob and Beth

Our podcast graphic!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Monthly Update

 Friends of Shalom, Happy Easter to you all!  I'm currently writing to you from Salem, Or where Beth and I have been spending the week with our first grandchild! Laura Anne was born on Thursday March 28th to Miriam and Tucker! She's perfect and we're enjoying all the snuggles we can get as well as serving our daughter and son-in-law.  March was a busy month for us. Here are some updates and prayer needs. We've officially moved to Sunday morning! We celebrated our first Sunday on Easter and will continue to meet on Sunday mornings at 10am.  Our core team had their first gathering without me! I was preaching at Holy Trinity in Edmonds one weekend in March and our team led evening prayer, worship, and our community meal. This is a big deal for a new church!  We received a generous financial gift from City Chapel! City Chapel is one of our supporting churches in Bremerton. Pastor Peter Vorhees along with the whole staff there have been a huge support to me and Shalom since

The Ups and Downs of Church Planting, Updates, and The Weekly Word

 Friends of Shalom, As you can imagine, there are ups and downs to church planting. So much emotion can be tied to each week's gathering as we wonder if our regular folks will be there or if anyone new will come. This last week I was discouraged heading into our regular Saturday night gathering because I knew over half our core group wasn't going to be there that night.  A few hours before our meeting, a pastor friend of mine texted me and told me he and his family would be coming. That brought some encouragement. But then as we were about to start two new couples wandered in! I quietly thanked the Lord for bringing some new folks and for keeping us going on this new adventure!  A few updates: - I'm getting close to finishing my ordination exams! This has been a big focus of mine over the last month. - In the month of January we saw over $3,000 come in from outside givers!  - Recently the school that owns the small church we meet in (All Saints Academy) invited us to share

Shalom Anglican has begun!

 Friends of Shalom, Thank you for praying for us last week! We officially began meeting last Saturday night. We had about 20-25 kids and adults. We gathered for vision, evening prayer, and a meal. Here are a few pics. Our Humble Beginning First Children's Sermon with my buddy Christopher!  Weekly Word. This week I got into 1 Thessalonians 2. There we see Paul's heart in his ministry.  We're looking forward to gathering again this Saturday! All are welcome!  For the Shalom of Kitsap, Rob and Beth