Skip to main content

Why Anglican?

 It’s a fair question. 


Why would a tattooed, flannel shirt wearing, Acts 29, non-denominational pastor want to wear a collar… a robe… and go “traditional” on us? I mean, isn’t that like going backwards? I thought we left all that stuff behind in the church growth movement of the 80’s that spawned the church planting movement of the late 90’s? What the heck are you doing Rob?


Again, these are fair questions I can’t fully address this in one newsletter, but here’s a start.


For me the journey begins with the leading of the Holy Spirit. In the fall of 2018 I started noticing that something was off in my soul. Around this time I was invited by Pat and Jenny Tracy to take advantage of a retreat cottage they had set up for pastors from Kitsap County. This began one of the greatest spiritual shifts of my life. 


The practice of taking 3-5 days away to simply be with Jesus changed me. I began scheduling more retreats and over the years I dove deeper into the contemplative side of our faith. It was during this time that I discovered the Book of Common Prayer also known simply as “the Prayer Book.” 


In the Anglican tradition, the Prayer Book was put together by Thomas Cranmer, the English reformer, to help individuals, families, and churches follow a simple method of praying through scripture. The prayer book also contains a collection of prayers which are prayers of the Church going back to the first few hundred years. It’s called the Book of Common Prayer because it’s meant for everyday people like you and me. It’s a discipleship tool that forms us into Christlikeness. 


At the beginning of the Prayer Book you’ll find a guide for morning and evening prayer (as well as noonday and compline). So I decided to practice morning and evening prayer for the next year. While I’ve always enjoyed praying from the heart throughout the day (and still do), I found having a given set of prayers freeing. Following the Prayer Book allowed me to be led and enter into the rich words given to me by Holy Scripture and the saints of old. I think I needed this as a pastor who was always expected to lead. Now I could just sit with the liturgy of morning and evening prayer and draw near to Jesus. This was my entry point into the Anglican way. 


As I learned more, I came across a new movement of Anglicans called the Anglican Church of North America (ACNA). At the time I had been struggling with being a non-denominational church pastor and didn’t know where I fit. I remember reading a great introductory book by Winfield Bevins called, “Simply Anglican,” and sensing the Spirit calling me to become an Anglican priest. I immediately shut the book and freaked out. How could I leave the church I had been pastoring? How could I change Christian traditions at the age of 45? What will my kids and wife think? The good news is the Lord walked me through all those questions and more. 


There are more reasons I became Anglican, but the Anglican practice of prayer is how the Spirit began my journey into Anglicanism. 


Here are some updates on our planting efforts. 

  • I finished my physical therapy a few weeks back (I broke my L2 vertebrae last spring). This was an important moment for me as I now feel more released to begin working harder on the plans for Shalom Anglican. I’m still sore everyday, but things are getting better. Please keep my full recovery in prayer.
  • I’ve been able to continue having conversations with folks interested in being a part of the church plant. We’ve been formulating a plan for some meetings in the fall. If I’m honest, I wanted to start meeting two months ago, but the wisdom of going slow is evident all around. Please pray for continued clarity and the right people to jump in early to help us plant Shalom. 
  • I’m planning on attending the Always Forward Church planting conference at the end of September. This will give me a chance to connect with other church planters in the ACNA and give more shape to our vision here in Kitsap.
  • A few weeks ago Beth and I got to get away to the Southern Oregon Coast and the Redwoods in Northern California to visit some friends. We also got to visit our Oregon kids. We were so grateful for the opportunity to enjoy time together and God’s creation! 




For the Shalom of Kitsap,


Rob and Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Go Time!

It’s Go Time!  This last weekend we celebrated Beth’s 46th birthday by spending a few days down in Oregon with all our kids. We had a great time catching up and enjoying two beautiful fall days together. On the way down my wife reminded me that her birthday was the sixth month anniversary of my cycling accident (I broke my L2 vertebrae back in April). It’s hard to believe that was six months ago! Six months ago, I was preparing to transition out of my last pastorate of 10 years and was also getting ready to begin some initial meetings for Shalom Anglican. Needless to say, my accident changed those plans. The thought crossed my mind, “God, are you trying to get my attention to keep me from planting this church?” But during my weeks of recovery it didn’t seem like the Lord was removing this calling; however, he was slowing me down! I shared with several friends that I wanted to embrace everything the Lord had for me in this time of rest and healing. My typical response would be to plow a

New Monthly Update

 Friends of Shalom, Happy Easter to you all!  I'm currently writing to you from Salem, Or where Beth and I have been spending the week with our first grandchild! Laura Anne was born on Thursday March 28th to Miriam and Tucker! She's perfect and we're enjoying all the snuggles we can get as well as serving our daughter and son-in-law.  March was a busy month for us. Here are some updates and prayer needs. We've officially moved to Sunday morning! We celebrated our first Sunday on Easter and will continue to meet on Sunday mornings at 10am.  Our core team had their first gathering without me! I was preaching at Holy Trinity in Edmonds one weekend in March and our team led evening prayer, worship, and our community meal. This is a big deal for a new church!  We received a generous financial gift from City Chapel! City Chapel is one of our supporting churches in Bremerton. Pastor Peter Vorhees along with the whole staff there have been a huge support to me and Shalom since